Saturday, August 20, 2011

Steamed Spareribs with Black Beans


I've been craving steamed spareribs for a while now, in fact I have the ribs in the freezer but not really had the time to experiment on this dish.  This is a popular item on most dimsum carts, and since I haven't had dimsum in about two years (or has it been three?), I think it's time for me to experiment.



A week ago, I mentioned to Veggie Girl my craving for it, and she briefly gave me an idea on how to make it. Basing it solely on what I remember from my dimsum experience, all I know is that it has spare ribs and black beans in it.  Wow, that's really helpful.  So I called my cousin and we brainstormed on what might be the ingredients in it and how to make it.  I will admit it did not come out the same as those from the dimsum carts but I am happy with the way it turned out.  The sauce is light and not overpowering, yet it looks appetizing.  The good thing is, my husband liked it too. -GG-


Ingredients:


1 1/2 lbs. spare ribs cut into small pieces (about 1 1/2 inches) across the bone
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 tablespoon black beans
1 stalk green onion (chopped in thin rounds, save half for garnish)


Procedure:


1.  Combine all ingredients.  Place everything in a steamable container.  I used an aluminum pie   tin (which I had saved from Marie Callender's).


2.  Place about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water in a pan.  Place the pie tin in a pan and steam on medium heat for about 25 minutes or until the pork is cooked.


3. Serve over a bowl of rice.  Spoon some juice over rice.  Garnish with green onion.


Some black beans come in cans, but this was what was available at my local Chinese market, 99 Ranch.

I used one stalk of green onion and one clove of garlic.

Here they are combined together.  I used my bare hands to incorporate everything together.

Look at the juices that it generated.  It is yummy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika